Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 22, 2007

How to say goodbye?

Ryanne's great-grandfather passed away this morning. We got the call while we were out for lunch.

I don't know how to explain it to Ryanne. I asked her today if she remembered him and she does. I told her that we wouldn't see him again. I told her that he had died - she knows the word, but doesn't grasp the permanence, yet. I told her he would be in our memories, but we wouldn't be able to see him anymore. I suspect quite a bit more explanation will be required in the coming months, but maybe not.

I don't know whether she'll ask. I don't know how much to prompt her. I was about her age when my grandfather died and I remember that. I remember not being allowed to go to the funeral, and not understanding why. I intend to follow her lead as far as her attendance at any memorial things that are held.

I do intend to let her listen to him tell her about Rover tomorrow. She'll always have that. Maybe that will help start our conversation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear that. Please let me know if there is anything we cna do to help.

Love always
Chris and Lee