Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, August 25, 2008

First day


Today, Ryanne started Kindergarten.

I had spent the summer wrapping my head around the fact that I couldn't find a good way to get her into K early. That would leave me with trying to entertain her in other ways this year while she stuck it out at MDO. It wasn't easy to do. I had tried many avenues and my best bet was a school that might take her after a mock day in the second week.

Last Thursday, I got a call from Austin Home Base (aforementioned school). They had her teacher evaluations. They thought she looked like a good candidate. They wanted her to start on the first day. She would have a trial week starting immediately and, based on that, a decision would be made about the rest of the year.

Her first day went well. She presented her endangered animal (manatee) to the class. She was on par with her peers.

It is only three days a week. They are longer days than she's used to, though. She was *tired* tonight. She'll have homework to do on the other two days. It's a nice, gradual entry, while we figure out what to do about next year.

I think I'm still shell shocked. I didn't have time to prepare for her to start. On the one hand, I didn't have time to get myself all riled up. On the other, I don't quite have my head wrapped around her being at such a major milestone. *sniff*

No comments: