Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Dentist Take 2

Ryanne went to the dentist for her check-up on Friday. We talked it up beforehand. The dentist was going to have her say "Aaaaah" and he would look at her teeth. We told her that he would really want to see the new ones - molars #3 and #4 cut in the past week or so. She was excited.

We got to the dentist and she smiled and played with the nurses. She played with the toys. She kept running into the exam room yelling "teef" and saying "aaaah" with her mouth open. She seemed really excited. I kept telling her she had to wait until they called her name.

Then they did call her name. I had to practically drag her into the exam room.

We got in there and they wanted her in the chair. She wanted no part of that. She sat in my lap in the chair with her body practically wrapped around me.

They asked her to open her mouth. She shook her head. We couldn't even get a "no" out of her.

I asked for the toothbrush to get her to open up. She clamped her mouth shut and bit her lips to keep me out.

Eventually, she opened up and let me brush - occasionally. We showed off the molars one at a time with me holding her cheeks out and moving out of the way so the dentist could see around me as she tried to turn away.

The poor dentist tried everything. He was talking to her. He talked to me. He waved the dog at her and made it talk - first as him, and then in a funny voice. He showed her USA*HA*NA and tried to get her to open up. The nurses gave her Hello Kitty stickers and she scorned them. She was totally unimpressed.

When we finally got enough shown to the dentist and flouride (I think) rubbed on most of the teeth with the toothbrush, we gave up. The dentist asked to see her in 6 months. I said we'd be back in the US by then. He looked totally crushed. I agreed to bring her back in November or December so he could "say goodbye".

Her appointment is in early December. Hopefully we can convince her that it's ok by then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another saga for the "best laid plans" category...Sigh. Love and hugs, Mom