Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, November 06, 2006

Hypocrite

Me, not her.

Today we were at Whole Foods. She loves getting the special carts there. They're little cars with baskets on the top for the groceries. They're a PITA to steer. I despise them, but it keeps her contained and much happier than a traditional cart so I get them whenever we see one.

When there's one there, she always gets to run ahead to get it as soon as we get out of the parking lot. This is even more important now that I walk a lot slower. We haven't seen one out in a couple of weeks, I think.

Today, she was over halfway across the front of the store when this MUCH older looking girl ducks in and grabs it. Ryanne burst into tears - hysterical tears. Every one is looking at us. The mother type figure with the other girl looks up, realizes what's happened, shrugs, mouths sorry, and takes the cart inside.
I get Ryanne over to the other carts. I get her into the cart. I start walking through the store. I'm telling her how sometimes somebody gets something we want very much and it's very disappointing. Sometimes, no matter how fast we hurry, we can't get there in time. How it's ok to be mad and upset when that happens, but we just have to hope the other person appreciates it and enjoys it. There will be other chances for us to use one and we've probably beaten other people to the carts because she's such a fast runner. Etc...

We go through the whole store like this. She would not calm down. She talked about how much she loved the car cart the whole time. I got 4 things, gave up and checked out. She got a tattoo and truffle at checkout because the cashier felt sorry for her, even, when she told him (helped by my translation) why she was crying. That calmed her down some, but not completely.

I saw the cart in the store. The girl was kicked back with her feet up - she had to be 6 or 7 (possible even since school's out today). She barely fit in the car. I think it was more of a way for her to be lazy and get through the store than a love of driving the car. The mom looked a bit guilty when she saw my still hysterical little girl as she struggled to shove this behemoth of a cart with her too large kid. I must confess seeing her struggle to push it made me feel a bit better.

Nevertheless, the Mama Bear in me is thinking, "bitch, you aren't even enjoying it" while I extol the virtues of sharing and how much she'll enjoy it the next time.

See...Hypocrite.

No comments: