Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Why you don't share the child's past with the child

Tonight, I was reading a book to RC called "Happy Birth Day!" It talked about what happened after the baby was born - cutting the cord, nursing, lots of sleeping, love, etc.

One of the pages talked about the little band that's put on the child's ankle when he/she is born. Thanks to our recent move, I had just seen RC's and knew it was on Chrys' desk. She was asking about the 'bracewet' so I told her I knew where hers was and asked if she wanted to see it. She did.

I got it from Chrys' desk and showed it to her. She was looking at it and the letters and asking what it said. Next thing I know, she's grabbed the tiny bit of strap that's left when it gets cut to size and showing me how it gets pulled around the ankle...just like in the book. *sigh*

So, now this little memento that we managed to get off of her in one piece is ... many sizes smaller and thanks to security measures (little plastic barbs inside the band) will be [very hard|impossible] to fix. I must confess disappointment.

I can see the original marks. If I get [really bored|desperate] I might be able to get it back to the position it was in when it came off her foot. On the other hand, maybe it's just made it more special that she got to see it and understand what it was at so early an age.

No comments: