Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

My big girl can do this

That's what I told her tonight. Chrys is at a business dinner so this was our first shot at me trying to get her to sleep without nursing. She dug into my shirt and asked for milk. I told her that she could get to sleep without it; she's done it for so many nights.

I told her I'd hold her close, we'd cuddle and I'd stay there until she fell asleep. I did just that. I laid on my side with an arm over her. I pulled her into my chest and nuzzled my nose into the crook of her neck next to her ear so she could hear me breathing. She smelled so sweet. She asked to hold my hand so I did that with the one that was under her head.

We sang. She knows many of the words to "Twinkle, Twinkle" and sang along with me. She sang some of it in Latin with me, too. She picked up the chorus of "Sunshine on My Shoulder" by the end and was trying to sing that.

Then we were just quiet. Holding hands and looking at nothing. After a bit, she was solidly out and I got up without waking her. It was the greatest moment with my daughter. It's one of the first we've had where I've really know she's not so much a baby anymore.

You know what...my big girl CAN do this and so can her mommy. I think I'm going to really enjoy this new stage.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh-h-h...now you've made Gamma Ree cry at work. I love you both.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow I am so proud of how brave both of you are, and amazed at RC Mom's wonderful strength and grace.

Love Always
C

Anonymous said...

Wow. So many moms would let something like that pass by with a "whew, no tantrum" and get on with their lives. RC is a lucky little girl.