Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Banned substances

A while back (early summer), RC seemed to be having an allergic reaction to some food and I suspected tomatoes. She would get nasty diapers, horrid rashes (sometimes with open sores), bumps near her mouth - it was awful. I've been very cautious about her intake for a while now and haven't noticed anything strange.

Well, they had some decent looking kiwi at the store the other day and, realizing I hadn't bought any of my daughter's favorite food in a while, I picked some up. RC ate two yesterday morning.

It wasn't but a couple of hours before they began their tirade on her system. Those stupid seeds make it pretty easy to track the culprits. She's having massive digestive troubles, the bumps are back, the rash is back (and really annoying her).

I'm feeling pretty dense for not realizing the connection earlier. I guess I should just be happy that it was pretty obvious this time. I wish it wasn't to one of her favorite foods. Oh well...I guess we'll take it slow and maybe one day she'll be able to eat them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe the next time you're both brave enough to try kiwi, RC can start with a baby bite and not even a whole of one of the fruits. I don't think kiwis were a popular fruit here at home when you were a toddler. I know I didn't try them until a few years ago. Good luck with them in the future.
Love and hugs,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Be very lucky it didn't happen when she started solid food and you were able to figure it out. When I was an itty bitty and started solid food the reaction couldn't/wasn't identified to one food and I had to go back to the bottle for a while and have the whole solid food thing start a second time. When I was restarted on solid food, it was done one at a time slow and no variety for a while and thankfully I had no reactions to anything at the slower pace.

So just be thankful it could have been worse....also I agree with your Mom maybe take her off of it for a while and let her have a bite one day see if there is a reaction and then next time if there is no reaction two bites.

Bad thing about it being her favorite food, to this day those things I first had the reaction to I don't particularly care for.

Love C