Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Amazing how a bad end trumps anything else that may have happened.

Ryanne hit her head today. Hard. We were at Baskin Robbins and she was crawling all over the booth and me, as usual. She had her body mostly in the booth and was putting her head on my knees. She was squirming a lot.

Next thing I know she was sliding off and I heard the thud before I could even react. She hit the top front of her head, in the arc between her eye and her ear. Left side, right above the hairline.

It seemed like she screamed immediately so I don't think she blacked out for even a second. She threw up as soon as I went to walk her outside because she was inconsolable. I just held her as she cried and I shook.

We brought her home and Chrys googled while she and I took a bath to smell better.

It seems that it's normal to throw up once, and concern happens if she does it again. She was able to answer simple questions - animal noises - correctly and without hesitation. She knew when we got home and was eager to play with the "deedong" (doorbell). She went through her normal bath and bed routine without hesitation. I think she's ok, but I still feel like the worst kind of person for letting her fall.

It will be 24 hours before we can be mostly reassured that she's going to be fine. In the meantime, I'm setting an alarm to check on her every couple of hours. Hopefully she'll sleep normally and I won't have to wake her. We're sleeping in the same room so we'll be more likely to hear her if anything goes weird.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fright for all of you. We will watch for your report of further development. Hopefully all the next day will hold for you is watching a bruise fade. Love, Mom

Shannon said...

Poor Ryanne! And poor Mama, too! Even the smallest bumps can be devastating, so I can only imagine what this was like for you. Here's hoping for a happy, headache-free day tomorrow. (((Hugs))) to both of you!