Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, February 28, 2005

1...2...3

Ryanne and I walked up the stairs to our apartment yesterday morning. We did it again today. When we take the elevator, we always point out the numbers and count as we're going up. Well, much to my amazement today, she made appropriate sounding number noises from floors 1 to 6. She got a couple of extra ones in there from 6 to 11. I'm just floored. I'm pretty sure she was actually saying the numbers since she always said them as we came around the corner and she looked at the sign.

She's also interacting more with the show she always wants to watch on television. Well, let's start by saying that somehow she knows when 8:30 rolls around and goes in to turn the TV on. Pretty much every day. I think it's based on our schedule, but it's interesting nonetheless. She's been watching this show for a while. There are 3 segments she loves. The first is a woman that does a sort of modern "dance" as various animals or elements. Ryanne has started looking at me when she starts and just giggling with glee. Sometimes she'll try to move her hands around like the woman does, but since it changes from week to week, it's not always easy. The second is a segment where the cast of 4 dress up as cats and sing. Ryanne just likes to stare and yell "ca". Last is a guy that does various hand and body motions to a little song. She adores this one. She gets all excited and tries to jump and lean and move her hands like he does. Sometimes, she just ends up spinning in circles in front of the TV - her rendition of his dance, I guess. It's the only show she watches with any regularity and it's 30 minutes so I don't feel too guilty. Plus, she's just so darn CUTE!

She's also trying to jump. Right now this consists of running in place as fast as she can.

She's also climbing...everything! She climbs the first level of the cat tree. Today I saw her throw her legs over the couch and slide down the arm from there. Then try to get from the arm to the top cat tree level. She got really close. This kid needs Little Gym and controlled, safe climbing places. In the meantime, I try not to discourage her unless she's doing something dangerous. I figure she's going to do it and I don't want to squash the curiosity or physical development.

Chrys and I are dismissed now. When we put her down for bed (and me for her nap), she starts saying "doo-er" as soon as she hits the sheets. That is our cue to exit via the door as quickly as possible. Right...don't want us there to go to sleep...got it.

Lastly (and I HOPE I don't jinx it by saying anything), she's sleeping again. Chrys and I moved into the living room 2 weeks ago. We move our futon in there at night and back into the tatami room during the day. This way, we don't wake Ryanne up when we come to bed. Result, she now sleeps from 7:30 to 5ish, nurses and is up for the day. She also naps better - taking a 60-90 minute nap without the previous wake up after 45 minutes. The bad side of napping on her own is I no longer get to take a 45 minute nap with her. Oh well, I get cuddles other ways so I'll just enjoy those more.

No comments: