Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, February 14, 2005

With scabs on my fingers...

I don't think that's how that nursery rhyme goes, yet, that's what I have.

Ryanne never took a pacifier. She much preferred my breast or one of our fingers (which we started at the suggestion of the lactation consultant who warned against the evil pacifier and it's ability to wreak havoc on the boob of the breastfeeding mother.) To this day, she'll chew on a pacifier, but won't suck on one. Furthermore, if she needs soothing, one of my fingers gets popped into her mouth (she'll pull my hand up, and if I fight, the screaming gets worse and soothing does not happen).

I realize part of this is temper tantrum and a battle of wills. If I continue to let her have her way, she'll never learn that it's not ok. Honestly, I'm ok with her needing to suck on things and don't mind that it's still a part of my anatomy.

What gets me is the biting. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather she bite a finger than a breast. MUCH rather. I am growing rather tired of the perpetual scabs and dimples on my fingers. They're annoying. They itch as they heal. I can't get them soft no matter how much lotion I slather on them. It sucks.

I guess I prefer that she not taking to sucking her own thumb. I know she'll grow out of needing the suck to calm her down, too. I just wish the teeth weren't part of the deal. For now, though, I guess it's an indication that she's still my baby and I should take heart in that. All too soon, she'll want nothing to do with me, much less my fingers.

No comments: