Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, February 07, 2005

Bad mama

I'm also a candidate for the World's Worst Mother.

A couple of nights ago, RC woke up around 10:30pm, as she's been doing for a while now despite our best efforts. Chrys went in to check on her and deemed her fine and left her to fuss a bit while she went back to sleep.

We usually only give her 15 minutes of this before we go back and check on her. However, it being the last of the weekend nights, we wanted to have a bit of alone time so we turned on U2 and decided she'd be fine for a few minutes while we just enjoyed each other's company. Selfish of us, but we'd like our marriage to survive the 18 or so years we have children in the house.

Well, 30 minutes later when we turned off U2, she was still fussing and starting to get a little worked up so I went in to check on her. I picked her up and rocked her, etc. I was massaging her leg when I realized that I should have felt diaper by then.

I ran my hand down her back...yeah, those were baby butt cheeks and definitely not a diaper. Hmmm...

I turned on the light and made sure it was on dim - no sense in waking her up completely with the 'bright as day' fluorescent. I looked in her PnP. Sure enough, there was her diaper. At the other end was sopping wet sheet.

I imagine the scenario went something like this. Standing in bed...whining a bit. Pull up the bottom of the nightgown to chew on it. Rake a hand across the diaper tab opening it, accidentally, of course. Realize your diaper is falling off. Step out of it to get to safety. Realize you have to pee. Oops! Get tired of whining and try to go back to sleep. Realize that your head is in something wet and cold and smelly. Stand up and whine. Get tired and lie down. Repeat until mama comes in and finds you wallowing in your own filth.

Ok...so it's not like she drinks more than water and it's not like it smelled bad, but I still felt pretty bad making her try to go to sleep in pee. I stopped short of burning the nightgown - it's not the nightgown's fault. There's some guilt, but I know she's fine. Guess I'm just back to hunting for one piece jammies in ever bigger sizes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think all babies do that at some point! Don't feel bad! I will never forget the time that my daughter (now 14 - would DIE if she knew I were telling this). Rather than crying, we heard her happily playing... And sadly, when I went check on her, it was more than just #1 on the sheets (and walls, crib, curtains,etc.)... YIKES! =o)